Solar and Wind at Berkshire East
Powered by a 500 kWh solar facility and a 900 kWh wind turbine, Berkshire East is the first ski area in the world to generate 100% of our power from onsite renewable energy. We are very aware of our place on the planet and are proud of these two impactful installations and are proud of being a leader in responsible ski area development.
Wind Turbine Facts
- The wind turbine is 277 feet tall
- Each blade is 91 feet long, there are three of them
- The center of the hub, is about 195 feet in the air
- The blades spin at 27 rpm, at maximum
Solar Field Facts
- There are 1800 panels in a 10 acre field
- Each panel is in a group of 20 on a pole that make up 1 All Sun Renewable Solar Tracker
- There are 90 Solar Trackers that follow the sun from sunup to sundown
- A solar tracker will produce 35%-45% more electricity than a fixed panel
Why Renewable Energy at Berkshire East
Its easy to say the the solar and wind machines power 100% of our facility, but the answer is a little bit more nuanced than that…
There are multiple reasons that Berkshire East built these generators, including;
- Karma: Green energy and skiing, in this era of global warming, we want to put our money where our mouths are, these machines generate electrons that otherwise would be produced by greenhouse gas producing power plants. Consider the solar and wind turbines our attempt at increasing distributed renewable generation so that the next generation of skiers can enjoy winter the same way we do.
- Value: Supply and Demand. More people using more power, generally speaking the price of power is inelastic, i.e. the demand drives the price of power up very quickly. We use a lot of power to make snow. We cannot trust the price of power to remain stable, so by producing our own power, we have hedged ourselves against future price increases.
Interested in visiting our wind turbine and solar field?
Our wind turbine tour includes a visit to the wind turbine site where your guide will provide you with detailed information about our wind turbine and other facts regarding sustainable energy. The tour includes moderate hiking of approximately 1.5 mile to and from the site. Transportation to the top of the mountain and down will be via chairlift and/or shuttle van. The wind turbine tour lasts approximately 2 ½ hours. You must be at least age 8 to take this tour.
Cost is $10 per person and reservations are required. Full payment is expected at the time you reserve. Participants will be required to sign an Event Waiver when checking in. A parent or guardian will need to sign for participants under the age of 18.
Larger groups can call us to arrange for tours on other dates by calling us at 413-339-6617.